Westcoast Words specializes in carefully-researched books that provide an insider’s look at how things are done—from building underwater robots to carving totem poles.
Readers Love Our Books
BUILD YOUR OWN UNDERWATER ROBOT AND OTHER WET PROJECTS
By Harry Bohm, and Vickie Jensen
- This amazing book introduces the excitement and technology of underwater exploration. It presents clear, well-illustrated projects—from underwater robots (ROVs) and gliders to diving bells and model habitats. All are constructed using inexpensive materials available at local hardware, hobby and electronics stores or via the internet.
- Over 20,000 Copies Sold!
- ISBN: 978-0-9681610-0-5
- List Price: $20.00 USD/CDN + tax
I work as a Senior ROV Pilot for a Norwegian company and have been in the industry 7 years. But prior to that, my background was largely working onshore as a technician on automated production lines. So when I moved to offshore work, I found it a big, daunting change. I had never been offshore before and the ROV world was intimidating with many diverse areas of competence demanded. My positive attitude and ability to work in teams in a friendly, cooperative manner helped but I was no ROV "guru".
So I decided it might be an idea to research and build my own very basic ROV to understand the underlying principles, boost my confidence, get my 7 year old son involved and, of course, have lots of fun in the process. I purchased Build Your Own Underwater Robot by Harry Bohm and Vickie Jensen and began work on Fahr-1 ("fahr" means pride in Urdu), an adapted version based on the 3-thruster SeaPerch. It's been as much fun looking for and testing parts as using the end product will be. I have attached a photo of the frame as it stands now.
Then the more comprehensive Underwater Robotics - Science, Design & Fabrication caught my eye and I purchased that as well. The book is an absolute treasure for me. I can easily find all the basics I need all in one handy, well written and presented, lively and easily understood book. I'd like to commend everyone involved in producing an absolutely fantastic guide and work of reference for everyone working in or contemplating working in the ROV industry.
If I can be so enthusiastic about it then I'm sure the younger guys and students will be doubly so.
Good luck and keep up the great work!
- Abdul with IKM Subsea AS
UNDERWATER ROBOTICS: Science, Design & Fabrication
By Dr. Steven W. Moore, Harry Bohm, and Vickie Jensen
- This wonderful book introduces students, educators, and other aspiring inventors to subsea technology. This exciting resource provides the information needed to design and build underwater vehicles. It also encourages bright young minds to consider a career in the world of underwater robotics.
- Publisher: Marine Advanced Technology Education (MATE) Center
- ISBN: 978-0-9841737-0-9
- List Price: $99.95 USD/CDN + tax
- 3036 Waterloo Street
- Vancouver, BC V6R 3J6
- Phone/Fax: 604-731-5565 (PST)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org